The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to confirm the signing of second rower Jacob Host until at least the end of the 2023 Season, as well as international centre Taane Milne until at least the end of the 2022 season.
Host, 24, has played 51 NRL matches for the St George Illawarra Dragons since making his NRL debut against the New Zealand Warriors in round nine, 2016.
Host has previously been named in the City Origin squad in 2017, the Junior Kangaroos squad in 2016 and both the Australian Schoolboys and New South Wales under 18s squads in 2014. He was also part of Jason Demetriou’s NSW Cup premiership-winning team, the Illawarra Cutters, in 2016 where he was named in the NSW Cup team of the year.
Milne, 25, has played 19 NRL matches for the St George Illawarra Dragons and New Zealand Warriors since making his NRL debut on ANZAC day for the Dragons against the Roosters in round eight, 2016.
We’re looking forward to having them join our squad for the 2021 pre-season and seeing what they can achieveMark Ellison Head of Football
Milne has represented Fiji in nine Test matches, played for Fiji at the World Cup Nines in 2019, represented the Junior Kiwis for two years as well as the Australian Schoolboys Rugby Union team in 2013.
Rabbitohs Head of Football, Mark Ellison, said Host and Milne will be welcome additions to the Rabbitohs’ squad.
“We’re really looking forward to Jacob and Taane joining us next season,” Mr Ellison said.
“Jacob comes highly recommended by JD (Demetriou) and he has been on our radar for a number of seasons.
“He has performed strongly for the Dragons in the opportunities he’s been given and we’re looking forward to him pushing for a spot in our top 17 on a weekly basis.
“Taane has had limited opportunities to impress in the NRL, but when he has been given a shot, he has shown he has what it takes to perform consistently well at the top level.
“We’re looking forward to having them join our squad for the 2021 pre-season and seeing what they can achieve under the guidance of Wayne (Bennett) and ‘JD’.”
- Name: Jacob Host
- Date of Birth: 3 September 1996
- Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
- Position: Second row
- Height: 190cm
- Weight: 104kg
- Junior Club: Renown United
- Previous Clubs: Dragons (2016-current)
- NRL Games: 51 (all for the Dragons)
- NRL Points: 20 (from five tries)
- NRL Debut: Dragons vs Warriors, Mt Smart Stadium, 1 May 2016 (Rd 9)
- Rep Honours: Junior Kangaroos (2016); Australian Schoolboys (2014)
- Awards: NSW Cup Team of the Year (2016)
- Name: Taane Milne
- Date of Birth: 19 May 1995
- Place of Birth: Auckland, NZ
- Position: Centre
- Height: 183cm
- Junior Club: Clovelly Crocodiles
- Previous Clubs: Dragons (2016-17); Warriors (2019-current)
- NRL Games: 19 (18 for the Dragons; one for the Warriors)
- NRL Points: Four (from one try for the Dragons)
- NRL Debut: Dragons vs Roosters, Allianz Stadium, 25 April 2016 (Rd 8)
- Rep Honours: Rugby League - Nine Tests for Fiji (2017, 2019); World Cup (2017); Fiji at World Cup Nines (2019); Junior Kiwis (2014-15)
- Rugby Union - Australian Schoolboys (2013)