Rabbitohs extend contracts of Bayley Sironen and Steven Marsters until at least the end of 2021
The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to announce the contract extensions of utility Bayley Sironen and outside back Steven Marsters until at least the end of the 2021 season.
Sironen, 23, has played 21 NRL games since making his debut for the Wests Tigers in 2017, playing in 19 NRL matches for South Sydney since joining the Club last year.
This is a testament to the effort they have put in both physically and in terms of their growth in maturity throughout this season.Mark Ellison Head of Football
Sironen played for the Australian Schoolboys in 2014 and the New South Wales under 20s in 2016, before being selected in the New South Wales Emerging Blues squad in 2018.
Marsters, 20, made his NRL debut for the Rabbitohs in round 15 this season against the Sea Eagles, scoring a try on debut. Before making his first grade debut, Marsters had represented the Cook Islands in two Test matches and three International Nines games.
Welcome to the NRL, Steven Marsters
Rabbitohs Head of Football, Mark Ellison, said both Sironen and Marsters have worked hard to earn their spots in the Rabbitohs top squad this year as well as their contract extensions for next year.
“Both Bayley and Steve have put in all of the hard work and more that is required to play at the top level of the game and they’ve been rewarded with positions in our first grade team throughout the year as well as these new contracts,” Mr Ellison said.
“This is a testament to the effort they have put in both physically and in terms of their growth in maturity throughout this season.
“Bayley comes from a great pedigree, has taken the step up to become a regular NRL player and we’re sure Bayley can continue to improve his game as he becomes more experienced at the top grade.
“Steve would be the first one to admit that he got away to a slow start when he joined us in November last year, as well as coming back from the COVID-19 break earlier this year, however he took a hard look at himself, pulled his socks up and worked very hard for the opportunities he has received this year and in turn has been rewarded with another contract with our Club.
“We’re very happy to see them both re-sign for a further 12 months and we’re all looking forward to continuing our work with them in 2021.”
Sironen is pleased to be extending his tenure with the Rabbitohs for a further 12 months.
“I’m stoked to have the opportunity to play at this club next year,” Sironen said.
“Since joining the Rabbitohs last year, everyone from my team mates, the coaches, the staff and the Members have made me feel at home and their support has been unbelievable.
“I know I have become a better player at this club and more importantly I’ve become a better person.
“Knowing that made my decision to stay an easier one and I’m looking forward to finishing this year on a high and then going again in 2021.”
Marsters is very happy to be staying at the Rabbitohs for another year.
“I’m over the moon to be at this Club and I’m really happy to be here for at least another 12 months,” Marsters said.
“The opportunities I’ve received this year has made me want to stay and to keep improving.
“The Members at our Club are first class and I want to go out and make the most of my opportunities to play for them.”
- Name: Bayley Sironen
- Date of Birth: 23 December 1996
- Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
- Position: Utility
- Height: 186cm
- Weight: 95kg
- Junior Clubs: Holy Cross Rhinos
- Previous Clubs: Tigers (2017-18)
- NRL Games: 21 (19 for the Rabbitohs; two for the Tigers)
- NRL Points: Four (from one try for the Rabbitohs)
- NRL Debut: Tigers vs Cowboys, Campbelltown Sports Stadium, 25 August 2017 (Rd 25)
- Rep Honours: NSW Residents (2018); NSW Emerging Blues Squad (2018); NSW under 20s (2016); Australian Schoolboys (2014)
- Name: Steven Marsters
- Date of Birth: 19 October 1999
- Place of Birth: Auckland, NZ
- Position: Utility back
- Height: 183cm
- Weight: 99kg
- Junior Clubs: Thirroul Butchers, Mt Wellington Warriors
- NRL Games: Five (all for the Rabbitohs)
- NRL Points: Four (from one try)
- NRL Debut: Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles, ANZ Stadium, 22 August 2020 (Rd 15)
- Rep Honours: Two Tests for the Cook Islands (2019); three games for Cook Islands 9’s (2019); International Nines World Cup for Cook Islands (2019); two games for Junior Kiwis (2017-18); New Zealand under 18s (2016)