Team list

Rabbitohs Jersey Flegg grind out tough win in error-riddled contest

The South Sydney Rabbitohs Jersey Flegg side have defeated the North Sydney Bears 26-12 in an error-riddled clash at ANZ Stadium.

In a forward-oriented battle, the likes of Matt French, Ky Rodwell and Brock Gardner led the way for the Red and Green, while 

Proceedings began in the worst possible fashion as the Rabbitohs fumbled from the kick-off, however strong defence from the outside backs forced the Bears into touch on the next set.

And although they handed possession back to their opponents through penalties and errors, the Red and Green defence continued to repel the Bears' charges, again forcing them into touch before getting to the try line. 

Soon after, it was Nick Mougios and Kane Allan breaking the line on the right-hand side, and prop Ky Rodwell crashed over to score the first try of the match. 

Another attacking raid came undone with a lost ball, and a late shoulder charge penalty gave the Bears ammunition to retaliate, and they did so through a left-hand shift giving fullback Corey Fenning an opportunity to cross. 

Another mistake from the kick-off - this time a kick out on the full - was forgiven as Allan recovered the kick for touch. Strong defence from Rodwell and hooker Josh Cook then forced an error 30 metres from the try-line, but soon after the Red and Green lost an opportunity by turning the ball over.

Young half Lachlan Ilias, in his first match for the Jersey Flegg side, was a menace with the boot, continually peppering North Sydney with pinpoint kicking, particularly spiral bombs.

And it was an error that handed the side its next try, with a Bears dropped ball close to the try line seeing winger Jack Frasca score in the corner. A brilliant conversion from the sideline saw the side double the scores with just over five to go in the half. 

Although their opponents came out firing in the first set of the second half, the defence of the Rabbitohs continued to hold them out through the middle of the park.

But an error on the first tackle from the scrum just ten metres from the line gave the Bears another chance, and luckily for the Red and Green, halfback Potusa Fuilala's attempt to get to the line was in vain as he was penalised for a double-movement.

But it was the Bears who struck first, with Fenning again getting over the line through a left-hand backline shift. The scores were then levelled as the conversion was successful. 

Forcing an error from the kick-off, the Rabbitohs continued to throw the ball around recklessly, with an awry pass being picked up and taken 60 metres downfield, again handing the Bears opportunities to score.

But it wasn't long until the Red and Green crossed over in the corner, thanks to fullback James Tautaiolefua crashing over in the right-hand corner. 

And soon after the Rabbitohs were on the attack once again as a Bears error gave the home side possession, only for an obstruction call to deny the side from furthering their lead. 

The determined South Sydney defence continued to pressure North Sydney into making errors, and a break from second rower Matt French saw the side earn a penalty just metres from the tryline.

Bench forward Lachlan Gale then made a point of injecting himself into the contest, barging over from close range to score, and with Taaffe's conversion, the side led by ten with less than ten on the clock.

Despite the Bears looking to score in the dying stages, it was the men in Cardinal and Myrtle who took the points after a hard-fought match with winger Kane Allan scoring in the final seconds of the match, adding in a fitting Goanna celebration in tribute to retired Rabbitohs Legend, Greg Inglis. 


South Sydney Rabbitohs 26 (Ky Rodwell, Jack Frasca, James Tautaiolefua, Lachlan Gale, Kane Allan tries; Blake Taaffe 3 goals)


North Sydney Bears 12 (Corey Fenning 2 tries; Connor Garetty 2 goals) 



Subscribe to Receive The Latest News, Offers & Member Exclusives.