Team list

Last Six Finals vs St. George Dragons

As the South Sydney Rabbitohs prepare to face the St. George Illawarra Dragons for the first time in a finals match, we've opened up the history books to take a look at the last six finals matches between the Red and Green and the red v.

6. 1994 Tooheys Challenge Cup Quarter Final – Rabbitohs 17 def Dragons 13

It might not technically have been a club competition finals match, but the Quarter Final in the Tooheys Challenge Cup in 1994 (played in the country town of Narrandera) was a memorable victory for the Club.

Trailing 15-13 with just two minutes left, the highly favoured St. George side spread the ball on the Rabbitohs' line before young centre David Penna intercepted the ball and ran 90 metres to score the match-winning try.

The underdog Souths side went on to take out the Tooheys Challenge Cup in the final against a powerhouse Brisbane Broncos in one of the biggest upsets in history.

5. 1984 Minor Semi – Dragons 24 def Rabbitohs 6

It's been 34 years since the South Sydney Rabbitohs took on the red v in a regular competition finals match, and this one is remembered as one of the most brutal encounters between the two famous sides.

Despite the Dragons winning both regular-season encounters, the Rabbitohs were far from concerned after coming off a massive confidence-boosting win against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and led St. George 6-4 at halftime.

With their seasons on the line, tensions went past boiling point, and the match erupted into an all-in brawl that sprawled across the entire field and lasted a number of minutes.

As the dust settled, however, the experienced Dragons got the better of the restless Rabbitohs and went on to win 24-6.

4. 1980 Minor Prelim Semi - Dragons 16 def Rabbitohs 5


Missing the finals for five years felt like an eternity for the Rabbitohs' faithful in the mid to late 70s, but the 1980 side reached the semis for the first time since 1974.

Their first week back in the finals was no easy task, however, as they faced the defending premiers who featured the likes of Steve Morris, Graeme Wynn, Craig Young and Rod Reddy in their lineup.

Trailing 10-2 at halftime, the Red and Green crossed the line through a spectacular try to Dally M medalist Robert 'Rocky' Laurie. After turning possession over eighteen times though, the gallant Rabbitohs were eventually defeated 16-5.

3. 1972 Minor Semi - Dragons 14 def Rabbitohs 10


Winning nine of the last ten premierships between them, the last finals match between the Rabbitohs and Dragons in the 1970s was a tight affair.

Coming off their record 20th premiership, the Red and Green were pitted against their grand final opponents from the previous year in a do-or-die clash in the Minor Semi.

The Dragons were clearly out for revenge, and although Elwyn Walters and Bob McCarthy crossed over the line – with McCarthy scoring a striking intercept try reminiscent of his efforts in the 1967 Grand Final - St. George eventually took out the close contest 14-10.

The match was also John Sattler's final game in Red and Green, after winning four premierships and playing 195 first grade games over ten seasons.

2. 1971 Grand Final - Rabbitohs 16 def Dragons 10

The last Grand Final win for the Grand Old Club for over four decades was this absolute cracker in 1971.

Two of the biggest rivals in the competition - and appropriately two of the heavyweight teams - met at the Sydney Cricket Ground to do battle in front of a bumper crowd of 62,838.

After leading 11-nil with less than half an hour left, the Rabbitohs seemed to have the match wrapped up until a late comeback by the Dragons brought the scores to 11-10 late in the game.

Just two minutes from fulltime, Souths lock Ron Coote made an inspirational charge and sent Bob McCarthy through a gap to score under the posts and seal the famous 16-10 win.

1. 1968 Preliminary Final - Rabbitohs 20 def Dragons 8


Having won their first premiership in twelve years, and ending St. George's 11-year winning streak in the process the year prior, the Rabbitohs proved there was a new heavyweight in town when they defeated the Dragons 20-8 in the 1968 preliminary final.

Fullback Eric Simms landed four goals and two field goals, with the exciting young Rabbitohs overcoming an ageing St. George side in a memorable contest.

The next week the Red and Green lifted their eighteenth premiership after defeating Manly Warringah in the Grand Final. 



Become a Member today!

Subscribe to Receive The Latest News, Offers & Member Exclusives.