You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Rabbitohs fall to defending premiers Newtown 32-12 in Canterbury Cup season-opener

They're the 2019 National Premiers for a reason so South Sydney new they had a job on their hands hosting the Jets at Metricon High Performance Centre this afternoon going down 32-12.

The Rabbitohs got off to a flying start through the light-stepping of Blake Taaffe who opened the scoring in the fifth minute.

Taaffe's ability to hit top acceleration in the blink of an eye was too much to handle for the Newtown left centre, who was burnt on the outside.

He converted his try from the sideline which gave Souths the dream start with the score at 6-0.

Steven Marsters almost crossed for the Rabbitohs' second try only moments later but the bounce of the ball, from the Blake Taaffe grubber, was tricky for the new recruit to control in the in-goal.

Despite this, it was a start coach Ben Rogers would have been pleased with but uncharacteristic errors began to creep in which invited the Jets into the game.

Billy Magoulias made his mark with brilliant game management either by turning the South Sydney back-three around or forcing repeat sets with well-weighted grubbers.

Due to the build up of possession Newtown crossed with two quick-fire tries; both close to the line. Firstly through Frontrower, Royce Hunt, and then with Addison Demitriou at left Centre.

Braydon Trindall made no mistake with the conversion attempts which extended the Jets' lead to six points with 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

Keaon Koloamatangi tried to lift the Rabbitohs' intensity with some hard-nosed running which helped Dummy-half, Joshua Cook, play off the back of him.

Sifa Talakai did the same for the Jets however which put the wind back in the visitors' sails, and the boys in blue managed to post two more tries before the break in a matter of minutes. Firstly, to Jackson Ferris and then Kayleb Milne.

With the score at 24-6 at the half it would take a big effort for the Rabbitohs to fight back.

The Rabbitohs began the second half with intensity in their defence and kept Newtown out on a number of occasions.

An uncharacteristic mistake from Corey Allan at the back however gave possession back to Newtown's Addison Demitriou, who then flicked the ball out the back for Teig Wilton to score in the one play.

Trindall again added another two points which took the score to 30-6.

Both teams were guilty of rather poor handling in the middle part of the second half but South Sydney continued to chance their hand with the limited opportunities they had with the football.

Jaxson Paulo was denied a try after a spectacular effort from the winger to plant the ball down, was eventually deemed that he had lost it.

Newtown's game management shone through when they elected to take the two points after receiving a penalty close to the posts. Trindall continued the perfect day with the boot.

It was the Rabbitohs who had the final say when Bryson Goodwin found Jaxson Paulo on a shift play which gave him more room to work this time. Paulo made no mistakes, but it was all too late with Taaffe kicking the final conversion from the sideline as the seconds ticked down in the final minute.

Image: @MAFPhotography20