Gagai Selected to Make Australian Test Debut
Rabbitohs 2018 recruit Dane Gagai has been selected to make his Australian Test debut against in the World Cup opener against England this Friday night at AAMI Park in Melbourne.
Gagai has been selected on the wing in the #2 jersey, partnering with five other Queenslanders in the Kangaroos’ backline. Gagai is Kangaroos number #816.
Gagai is one of a number of debutants with Wade Graham and Jordan McLean set to make their Test debuts from the interchange bench.
Gagai will come up against future club team mates Sam Burgess and Thomas Burgess when the Kangaroos take on England on Friday.
“This is obviously a very important game in the context of the Rugby League World Cup and this squad of players reflects that,” Australian Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga said.
“Dane had a tremendous State of Origin series and deserves to play for the Kangaroos and it will be great to see him in the green and gold.”
The Australian Kangaroos 21-man squad for the clash with England is:
1) Billy Slater (Storm)
2) Dane Gagai (Knights/Rabbitohs)
3) Will Chambers (Storm)
4) Josh Dugan (Dragons/Sharks)
5) Valentine Holmes (Sharks)
6) Michael Morgan (Cowboys)
7) Cooper Cronk (Storm)
8) Aaron Woods (Tigers/Bulldogs)
9) Cameron Smith (c) (Storm)
10) David Klemmer (Bulldogs)
11) Boyd Cordner (vc) (Roosters)
12) Matt Gillett (Broncos)
13) Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)
14) Wade Graham (Sharks)
15) Jordan McLean (Storm/Cowboys)
16) Josh McGuire (Broncos)
17) Tyson Frizell (Dragons)
18) Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Panthers)
19) Ben Hunt (Broncos/Dragons)
20) Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)
21) Felise Kaufusi (Storm)
Coach – Mal Meninga