You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The North Sydney Bears bounced back to score a massive win over their arch rivals, the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, at North Sydney Oval yesterday (Sunday), running in ten tries to one to register a resounding 54 points to 6 victory.

Mitchell Buckett scored a hat trick and Dylan Walker kicked seven goals as the Bears got back to their winning ways in front of a vocal home crowd.

Norths went close early through Mitchell Buckett, only for the winger to be held up in goal. Shaune Corrigan made no mistake on the next play when he crossed over in the right corner when the Bears moved the ball from sideline to sideline. Dylan Walker missed the conversion but the Bears were up four-nil after ten minutes.

Manly prop Ligi Sao gave away a penalty and then was marched ten metres by the referee for questioning his decision to give the Bears another opportunity. Luke Keary took on the line and nearly scored, but from the play the ball, Walker went down the short side and threw a long ball to Buckett who dived over in the corner to score his sides second. Walker again missed the conversion and the score stayed at eight-nil.

Manly were lacking discipline as they gave away too many penalites and were coming up with poor final play options as backrower Kasey Greer kicked the ball dead inside the Bears' 20 metres. Manlys forwards were keeping them in the game though, with James Cunningham leading the pack.

Norths came close to extending the lead, however Bennett Leslie couldnt control Kearys lovely grubber and dropped the ball. Keary was looking dangerous with every touch of the ball and it was his pass that led to the next try.

With nothing happening, Keary chose to run the ball on the last tackle inside his own half and his inside ball to Justin Hunt opened up the defence. Hunt showed blistering pace as he raced downfield and sprinted past the fullback to score in the corner, much to the delight of the home fans. Walker nailed the conversion and the Bears extended their lead to 14-0.

With two minutes remaining, a late hit on the kicker gave Manly a chance to get back in the game, and again their last play option let them down as the pass out wide went to ground and turned the ball over.

Apisai Koroisau broke from dummy half inside his own 30 metres and Dylan Farrell backed up well as Koroisau drew the fullback before his pass to Farrell. Farrell crossed over the tryline untouched, and Walker converted on the halftime siren to send his team into the sheds leading 20-0.

The Bears didnt take long to extend their lead over their rivals as they scored on their first set after halftime. Luke Keary put up a towering bomb, Walker regathered and offloaded to Keary, who backed up his own kick and scored under the posts. Walker easily converted to make it 26-0.

Manly gave away a penalty on the very next set and the Bears took advantage of the repeat set and scored again. Dylan Walker busted through some soft defence down the left side and raced 30 metres to plant the ball down and convert his own try to make it 32-0.

The Bears were in again five minutes later, and again it was from the boot of halfback Luke Keary. Mitchell Buckett outleapt his opposite winger to latch onto a pin-point kick from Keary to score in the corner. Walker missed the conversion but the score was 36-0 after just 50 minutes.

Justin Hunts brilliant kick-return set up the next try for North Sydney. Manly kicked deep but Hunt ran through the defence and was tackled 30 metres out from Manlys line. One pass to Buckett from dummy half gave the winger enough room to run down the sideline and score a brilliant hat trick. Walkers conversion extended the lead to 42-0 after 55 minutes.

A penalty from Joey Matapuku for a rake gave Manly a rare opportunity to attack the Bears' goal line. Manly finally got on the board when big Ligi Sao scooped up a loose ball and charged over. Michael Chapman converted the try to make it 42-6.

Sea Eagles backrower Kasey Greer dropped the restart to have his side under pressure again. Matapuku made up for his penalty by crashing over the tryline after a one out pass from dummy half. Dylan Walker kicked another goal to make it 48-6 with just under 20 minutes left.

Matt Hyland wrapped up the scoring for the Bears, capping off a great performance with a try after a charging run, brushing off numerous attempted tackles to score beside the posts. Walkers conversion made it 54-6 to seal the big win over arch rivals Manly.

North Sydney Bears 54 (Mitchell Buckett 3, Justin Hunt, Shaune Corrigan, Dylan Walker, Dylan Farrell, Luke Keary, Matt Hyland, Joey Matapuku tries; Dylan Walker 7 goals)


Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 6 (Ligi Sao try; Michael Chapman goal)
Acknowledgement of Country

South Sydney Rabbitohs respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Platinum and Associate Partners