You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The North Sydney Bears continued their impressive run of six consecutive wins as they beat Wentworthville by 46 points to 18 in front of a big crowd at North Sydney Oval on Sunday.

North Sydneys halves combination of Luke Keary and Darren Nicholls dominated the game, setting up multiple tries to help their side to a big win on a hot day.

Thomas Burgess and Josh Starling worked hard all game, but it was halfback Luke Keary who was the most impressive.

The Bears got off to the perfect start through Burgess. Burgess made the initial break, powering through the defensive line and then two tackles later, with the defence still on the back foot, he charged over under the posts. Dylan Walker converted and North Sydney were off to a six-nil lead after five minutes.

Wentworthville hit back when Api Pewhairangi received a long pass, and with the defence sliding, Pewhairangi easily broke through and gave the ball to Brayden Wiliame who raced to the corner to score. Jake Mullaney nailed the sideline conversion to level the scores at six-all.

North Sydney nearly scored in their very next set after conceding, when Darren Nicholls feigned to kick but ran the ball and put Bennett Leslie through a gap. However, Leslies final pass to Luke Keary was ruled forward, denying the Bears a great try.

A penalty for a dangerous tackle from Taulima Tautai on Matt Hyland put the Bears in good field position and the Bears took full advantage with a try to Shaune Corrigan. Darren Nicholls threw a long ball to Justin Hunt and Hunts quick catch and pass created the overlap for Corrigan to score in the corner. Walkers conversion made it 12-6 with just over fifteen minutes remaining in the first half.

The Bears received consecutive penalties for infringements in the ruck, however, they missed an opportunity when winger Mitchell Buckett couldnt control Justin Hunts grubber in the in-goal.

A brilliant show and go from Luke Keary brought the crowd to their feet as he split the defence up the middle. The halfback raced away before drawing the fullback and passing to his five-eighth, Darren Nicholls, to score under the posts. Walker made no mistake with the conversion and North Sydney were up 18-6.

The halves combined again with minutes left before half time. Keary gave a beautiful, no-look inside ball to Nicholls who broke through the line and offloaded to Kyle Turner to stretch out and score.

Luke Keary wasnt finished terrorising the Magpies defence just yet. Another perfectly timed inside ball to Hunt created the gap and Hunt drew his opposing fullback before offloading to Dylan Walker, who strolled over to score under the posts. Walker converted his own try on the halftime siren and the Bears went into the sheds leading 30-6.

Wentworthville needed to start strongly in the second half if they were to have any chance of getting back into the game. With just over a minute gone, big winger Semi Radradra found himself in space with only the fullback in front of him. Radradra didnt even try to beat Justin Hunt to the corner, instead he used his strength to run straight over him and score. Mullaney kicked the sideline conversion to reduce the lead to 30-12.

In his first game back from injury, Apisai Koroisau gave away a penalty to give the Magpies an opportunity. Backrower Pat OHanlon made a break through the centre of the Bears' defence before passing to Jake Mullaney to score a try to give the Wentworthville fans some hope. Mullaney converted his own try and it was now 30-18.

Wentworthville were nearly in again as they made a bust up the middle and Mullaney went close to scoring. They shifted the ball to their right side and had an overlap, Mitchell Buckett rushed in off his wing and made the right decision as his pressure forced a forward pass from centre Cheyse Blair.

Wentworthville continued to attack North Sydney down the middle and they again busted through the line. However, the Magpies were penalised for being offside from a kick.

Jesse Roberts spilled the ball deep inside the Bears' half to give the visitors another opportunity. However, Wentworthville again wasted another opportunity to get back into the game when Brayden Wiliame knocked the ball on over the try line.

North Sydney hadnt had any attacking set on their opponents line for nearly ten minutes, but they didnt waste their opportunity when given the chance. Luke Keary gave a ball to Dylan Walker who found Hunt, who ran hard onto the ball and outsprinted Jake Mullaney to extend the lead. Walker missed his first conversion of the afternoon as the ball crashed into the posts to keep the score at 34-18 with ten minutes remaining.

Wentworthville winger Ben Fritz dropped a Luke Keary bomb to give the Bears another opportunity. Keary showed his class as he ran the ball on the second tackle and busted through some tired defence to score a magnificent solo try under the posts.

Joey Matapuku sealed the win with his first try of the season after chasing a grubber kick. Dylan Walker kicked his seventh conversion of the afternoon to make it 46-18 and extend the North Sydney winning streak to six in a row.

The Bears will be looking to make it seven consecutive victories against Wests Tigers at North Sydney Oval next weekend, whilst Wentworthville will be hoping for a better performance against Manly.

North Sydney Bears 46 (Dylan Walker, Shaune Corrigan, Darren Nicholls, Justin Hunt, Luke Keary, Thomas Burgess, Kyle Turner, Joey Matapuku tries; Dylan Walker 7 goals)


Wentworthville Magpies 18 (Jake Mullaney, Brayden Wiliame, Semi Radradra tries; Jake Mullaney 3 goals)
Acknowledgement of Country

South Sydney Rabbitohs respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Platinum and Associate Partners