You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The South Sydney Rabbitohs' unbeaten run to start the season has been broken, but Rabbitohs Members and supporters can be very proud of the performance turned in by their side in their 17-10 loss to the Melbourne Storm tonight (Saturday) in front of 32,671 Members and fans.

The Storm capitalised on the three Rabbitohs' mistakes made throughout the 80 minutes, and in turn the Rabbitohs had enough chances to defeat the Storm, but they couldn't put the final pass on often enough to secure the two competition points.

This match lived up to the pre-game hype, with both sides turning in high quality performances.

Both sides were mounting pressure from the kick off, with the ball heading from end-to-end during the opening 20 minutes.

Wonderful long and short kicks, accompanied by outstanding kick-chases from Adam Reynolds, were mounting pressure on the Storm, and amazing 40/20 save by fullback Greg Inglis got the Rabbitohs out of trouble.

The Storm were the first to score, when in the 23rd minute Kevin Proctor scored on a repeat set for Melbourne. Cameron Smith converted to take the scoreline to six-nil.

The Rabbitohs had a couple of chances to score over the 15 minutes, but desperate Melbourne defence and a great bomb diffusion from Sisa Waqa prevented South Sydney from scoring.

The video referee awarded Melbourne their second try in the final minute of the half when it appeared he had stepped on the touch-in-goal line, but the video referee disagreed and awarded the four pointer. Smith converted from out wide to take the lead to 12-nil at half time.

It was tight first half and the 12-point deficit did not reflect the true position of the game. Inglis was looking the most dangerous of the Rabbitohs, and George Burgess was particularly powerful when he came on the field.

It was Burgess that put on the big play to open the second half, pulling off a try saving tackle in the 45th minute.

The Rabbitohs worked their way up field to score their first points, through fullback Greg Inglis in the 48th minute. Reynolds put in a perfect cross field kick, finding a flying INglis who touched down to the left of the uprights. Reynolds converted to reduce the deficit to six, and that try gave Inglis another milestone, with the number one now having scored a try against every NRL team in the competition throughout his career.

A knock-on from Billy Slater should have given South Sydney some amazing field position, two metres out from the Storm's line, but the referee failed to call up the play and the Storm dodged a bullet in the 52nd minute.

From the ensuing play the Storm would score their third try, through five-eighth Gareth Widdop in the 54th minute. A defensive misread from the Rabbitohs' right side defence let Widdop stroll through for the four-pointer, giving the Storm a 16-6 advantage.

The sides then threw everything they had at each other, with the Rabbitosh trying to crack the Melbourne brick wall.

It was not until the 72nd minute that this would happen, when winger Andrew Everingham dived over in the right hand corner. The Rabbitohs had earnt a repeat set, and a long ball to the right wing from Reynolds set up the try, reducing the deficit to six points once again.

The Storm kept a calm head, and one minute later, Cooper Cronk would slot a field goal from in front to establish a seven-point lead with little time on the clock.

The Rabbitohs were not done with yet, with Nathan Merritt almost single-handledly scoring a try in the 79th minute. He charged down the left wing and kicked ahead, before being taken out late by Slater. The referee blew a penalty and sent Slater the sin bin for ten minutes, but the illegal play put paid to a vital attacking raid for the Rabbitohs.

In the final minute of play the Rabbitohs had another chance to score, but Jeff Lima left behind a difficult ball from Sam Burgess, resulting in a 17-10 final scoreline.

The Rabbitohs fought hard throughout the 80 minutes, and proved that it will take an almost flawless 80 minute performance to knock over the reigning premiers. The Rabbitohs are capable of doing that, and will gain confidence for their next encounter with the World Club Champions later in the season.

The Rabbitohs will not play next weekend due to the representative weekend before taking on the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in round seven at Brookvale Oval.

Melbourne Storm 17 (Kevin Proctor, Mahe Fonua, Gareth Widdop tries; Cameron Smith 2 goals; Cooper Cronk field goal)


South Sydney Rabbitohs 10 (Greg Inglis, Andrew Everingham tries; Adam Reynolds goal)